Labor & Delivery

June 15th I had an appointment to see my midwife for a routine check up. While I was there she checked to see if I had started to dilate. Much to my surprise I was 1.5 centimeters dilated but she assured me that it could still be a while before I actually went into labor. That was a relief because at that point my due date was still a month away.

Fast forward one week later and I lose my mucus plug early Friday morning. I called the labor and delivery nurse and her excitement put me at ease. She told me this just meant that labor was imminent within the next couple of weeks. What I didn’t realize was that my water broke but I was losing it in very small amounts. It wasn’t until the next morning that I felt that gush that got me out of bed. I called my labor and delivery nurse and she told me to come in as soon as possible with my hospital bag. At this point I was feeling different emotions. It was a mix of excitement but fear as well because I still had a little over 3 weeks until my due date.

Once we made it to the hospital I went into triage and they started examining me to make sure my water had broken. I let them know that I believed my water broke the morning before but was losing it in small amounts until that morning. What I didn’t know is that once your water breaks you need to go in right away because the baby doesn’t have protection against infection at that point.

I was admitted and taken to my labor and delivery room. Once the nurse began checking me she realized that I wasn’t dilating on my own anymore. They began to give me Cytoec, a pill to induce labor. They did this because the baby was at a risk of getting an infection and couldn’t wait on my body to do it on its own. A few hours later the pills started working and my body started contracting late Saturday night.

I ran a fever twice during labor and my son was born with a mild fever because of it. They weren’t sure why I got it. Neither one of us had anything bad come from it other than the nurses keeping an eye on our temperature the remainder of our stay.

Early Sunday morning I was finally ready for my epidural. I was so relieved to know that the pain was going to fade away. Once your epidural is in they give you a button to push that gives you doses of the epidural when you need it. Quickly I realized that I was still feeling all my contractions on the right side of my body. They came back in and readjusted the needle but it made no difference. The epidural only ended up numbing the left side of my body. Needless to say I got no sleep before it was time to push.

While I was laboring my husband never left my side. He somehow took over the nurse’s job and was helping me through each contraction, breath, and push.

My son was born after pushing for an hour and a half. He was a healthy boy weighing at 6 pounds 9 ounces and was 19 inches long. The nurses were amazed at how big he was for being born 3 weeks early. And once again I was lucky enough to only have torn a small amount.

I’ll never forget the first time I saw him. We locked eyes as soon as they were handing him to me. This perfect little boy was nothing like I had imagined. He looked like me! Haha. The way he looked at me when I talked to him I knew he recognized my voice. The way he laid on my chest I knew he loved me and I knew I loved him too. All I wanted to do at that moment was protect him for the rest of my life.

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in: Logo

You are commenting using your account. Log Out /  Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out /  Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )

Connecting to %s